[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo installation

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 15:12:02 MST 2004

	**** see corrections below

> title=Windows XP
> root(hd0,0)
> chainloader +1

Yuko,

Here's your problem.  In grub terms
	/dev/hda = drive 0 hd0
        /dev/hdb = drive 1 hd1

Your gentoo installation is on hdb, and thus the grub boot stanza for
your gentoo should be:

	title=gentoo Linux 2.6.3
	root (hd1,0)                           <== i.e. hdb1 (your /boot)
	kernel (hd1,0)/kernel-2.6.3 root=/dev/hdb3
	initrd (hd1,0) /initrd-2.6.3

Give this a try.  If no luck, call me at 303-690-7442 any time.

P.S.  I've not heard good stories about using the genkernel procedure
and the initrd setup.  If that doesn't work, I can help you generate a
kernel the standard way and then eliminate the initrd, which really
isn't necessary.

--
Collins Richey - Denver area
gentoo testing 2.6.3-rc2 nptl udev