[CLUE-Tech] virtual hosting with pop/imap/usernames

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 13 15:58:48 MDT 2004

I thought I'd pose this question to the list, since I've never found an
answer to it.  I use virtual hosting with sendmail and I might have a
couple of email addresses like sales at domain1.com and sales at domain2.com.
What I do is set up two users like sales.domain1 and sales.domain2,
however due to the fact that some of the domain names I have to deal
with get ridiculously long (this-is-my-insanely-long-domain-name.com), I
can't always do something that pretty.  I would like to find a way I can
allow users to use their email address as their login name when
retrieving mail.  So when someone has an email like sales at domain2.com,
they use sales at domain2.com as their user id, and what their username on
the system is actually never a concern to them.

Any thoughts on this?

Angelo