[CLUE-Tech] Compensating for insufficient printer memory

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 17 17:40:39 MDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:48:53PM -0600, Charles Oriez wrote:

> I can't answer your main question re spools. However, I was somewhat in
> your boat, only with a Epson Action Laser that was no longer being
> manufactured.  I plugged the memory spec into google and found a gray
> market vendor out there that sold me the right kind of memory fairly
> cheap.  Long enough ago that I don't remember who it was, but I do know
> that it was significantly less than epson wanted, and that it is still
> working fine.

Hmm, yes, maybe I should try that. I remember finding something like
that on line, but since I'd never heard of the company I was hesitant to
put in an order.

> >   Is there a way to configure the spooler to split up large jobs into
> >   chunks that the printer can handle? I'm using CUPS, and its manual
> >   doesn't seem to address this issue; I could switch to LPR or LPRng
> >   if absolutely necessary.
>
> The printer itself has an option called 'page protect.'  On the HPs we had at
> work it was off by default.  Turning it on would eliminate memory errors.
> Presuamably it would work as long as a page was less than 1MB (but it slows
> down printing, I think).

That's an idea. But I wonder how I would do it with this printer. It has
exactly one button on the outside. Do you think something like that
might be controlled by dip switches under the cover? Not that I've found
any of those either. But perhaps they have something in their Windows
utility that would do that. I'll get on my wife's computer and check
that. Otherwise I'm stumped.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.