[CLUE-Tech] After DSL upgrade - some wierd problems

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat May 22 15:34:47 MDT 2004

Paul wrote:
[...]
 > However,
> if you want to use a hostname inside of your domain as well, then you
> either need to use a different hostname that has the assigned INTERNAL
> ip address (192.168.x.x), or use Bind and views to make sure it resolves
> to an internal ip address when you are inside the network and external
> ip when you are outside the network.

This will work but it isn't always necessary.  I can get to my server
from my internal LAN using either the internal or external IP.

On a whim I tried tracerouting from inside to the outside IP.  Hey,
look!  A router at Qwest (my ISP) shows up.  That's handy.

So to add to my original answer, it looks like the ability to reach the
external IP from inside may depend on your ISP.

Looking at my router's routing table, this behavior is what you'd
expect.  I can put a route in to cut the ISP out but that seems to break
my DNAT (and routing through my ISP and back seems like it might be useful).

So you might look at the Zoom's routing table -- maybe it has a route
for your external IP and you're seeing DNAT break.  Maybe it doesn't and
you're seeing your ISP's router doing something odd.  What does it say?