[CLUE-Tech] seeking wireless card

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Nov 4 23:24:17 MST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 07:38:53PM -0700, BOF wrote:

> I bought a Linksys WPC55AG 802.11a/g wireless notebook card (somewhere I
> had seen it as Linux-compatible) but, alas, it does not seem to be
> recognized by Fedora Core 2.  Has anyone been able to get this card
> working under Linux?

I don't know about that specific model, but I recently bought a Linksys
WPC54GS. Bit of a careless choice ... I somehow had the impression that
Linksys was a Linux-friendly company, so I figured "sure it'll work."

I found that there is no native Linux driver for this card, but it turns
out it works with a Windoze driver via the ndiswrapper module. Kinda
sucks to have to use that proprietary software, but at least I have a
fully functional wireless card. Maybe the same thing will work for
yours.

I forget where I found ndiswrapper (it's a third-party kernel module),
but I'm sure Google will tell you.

Haven Rock Press            Horses bear manure through
Englewood, Colorado, USA        its fields;
books at havenrock.com         When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)