[CLUE-Tech] Re: xscreensaver and xorg problems

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:37:38 MST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:43:05 -0700, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been attempting to solve a problem for some time with
> xscreenswaver (and also glxgears) crashing the X server. I'm just
> curious if anyone here has seen this problem.
>
> One user on linux-users reported that he had the problem on FC2 but
> not on FC3. Could one of you FC2 users (or sufferers <g>) tell me the
> versions of xorg, gcc, glibc, gtk+, and xscreensaver on FC2? My FC3
> friend on linux-users doesn't have an FC2 system any more.
>
> Has anyone here locally encountered this problem?
>
> My gentoo system is very current on all these packages -
> xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1, xscreensaver-4.16, gcc-3.4.3, glibc-2.3.4.20041102,
> kernel 2.6.9. The glibc is compiled vor nptlonly (i.e. the code for
> compatibility with older threading is suppressed; someone on
> gentoo-user reported this as a fix for some opengl type problems.)
>
> I have a sis650 onboard video card. Some references via google mention
> problems with this driver, but I can't find anything that really
> matches.
>
> I'm revving up to run X in a gdb environment, but I thought to check here first.

After much headscratching, I thought to do 'ldd xscreensaver' and 'ldd
xscreensaver-demo'. Afterwards I rebuilt pango and expat which are
required by xscreensaver-demo. Now the problem is gone which leads me
to even more headscratching. glxgears does not reference either, but
now it works, too!
--
 Collins