[CLUE-Tech] A non-synching docking PDA?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 1 22:44:32 MDT 2004

http://weckuptothees.blogspot.com/2004_09_26_weckuptothees_archive.html#109657648595069610

Sort of an interesting concept there. I don't quite understand the point,
exactly, but here's what this guy wants.

++++++++++++++++
 I'm waiting for the market to roll out a PDA/computer hybrid:

    * It would operate as a PDA when it's pulled from its cradle and
jammed into my pocket,
    * It can connect to WiFi hotspots and provide a full-featured browser
on a low-res monitor in the PDA mode;
    * When it's resting in its cradle, it does not sync with another
computer, it reboots as one, and simply interfaces with input devices,
peripherals, a high-speed IP connection, etc through the cradle.

For respectable desktop performance, it would farm out the functions of
full-power CPU, graphics processor, and vast amounts of memory to the
cradle, and run from on-board equivalents only when portable. Separate
OSs?

I made some comments over there about not really needing to reboot, and
just mounting the PDA's memory as you would a USB memory stick drive. IOW,
you just take your home directory with you. It doesn't sound novel to me,
except that I haven't heard that any PDA allows one to just mount it over
whatever the interface is, and use it like a HD.

But it sounds interesting.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/