[CLUE-Tech] graphics card recommendation

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Oct 4 19:56:33 MDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 04:38:39PM -0600, Charles Oriez wrote:
> At 10:52 AM 9/27/2004, Tony M. wrote:
>
> >Get an Nvidia, one way or the other the drivers are
> >100% linux.  I'd recondmend a 5200 or above.
>
> thanks for the recommendations all
>
> for your fund of general knowledge, it looks like 5200 or better requires
> a P3 or better box.  I didnt bother mentioning that I was running a P2.

Coming in late ... I suppose you've already got something, but:

You might consider getting a used card from someplace like Action
Computer, especially for an older box; they get a lot of video cards,
including some pretty good ones.  Depending, of course, on what you want
to do with it. If you're a gamer, you probably want all the latest 3D
crap, but then you'd probably have a newer machine in the first place
... and I suspect you're not much of a gamer.

I have a Matrox Millenium that I picked up at Action Computer for 10 or
15 bucks. Been using it for 2 years; it does 1280x1024 (if you set the
right options in your X config) and does a very good job rendering the
basics (text and 2d graphics).

Haven Rock Press            Horses bear manure through
Englewood, Colorado, USA        its fields;
books at havenrock.com         When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)