[CLUE-Tech] Installing Knoppix

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Oct 8 08:09:52 MDT 2004

Timothy Klein wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2004 02:41, dave price wrote:
>
>>dselect is Debian's very powerful but 'somewhat
>>arcane' front-end to dpkg, the Debian package manager.
>
> dselect is an intolerable nuisance.

That is definately true.

> I also use aptitude now, which isn't perfect but far, far better than
> dselect.

I use aptitude exclusively.  Besides being more usable than dselect, the
thing it does that apt doesn't is keep track of packages that were
installed only to satisfy dependencies.  Those are automatically marked
for deletion when all the depending packages are removed.  It also makes
it easy to see reverse-depends which can be useful.

I keep asking, but are there any rpm managers that do what aptitude does?