[CLUE-Tech] comcast broadband cable modem

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 16:47:11 MDT 2004

Hello everyone:

I just stumbled on this list. I have been subscribed to the Clue-talk
list for some time.

I recently switched out an old Redhat 7.3 box that someone else had set
up for me with squidGuard installed to share my DSL connection with the
network here at my house. I didn't have a clue how to keep it up to
date, etc. So I read a recommendation to use a combination of IPCop and
DansGuardian (internet content filter), found a good howto on the web.
Also downloaded some add-on features, tested it and now have it up and
running and have been switched over for about a month. I have Earthlink
DSL and they use a PPPoE connection which I was familiar with and it was
very easy to accomplish during the IPCop installation -- 30 minutes and
the entire thing was up and running with all the updates downloaded and
installed.

A friend of mine has Comcast and a broadband modem with an ethernet
connection. She is currently sharing this broadband connection via a
wireless access point but would like a firewall and a content filter for
her connection also. (When you have teenagers you do what you can.) I
thought it would be simple, but discovered that I am clueless as to how
the connection works with the cable modem. I know how to configure a
"dialup" modem with IPCop, and the PPPoE, but just can't see what to do
to configure this cable modem connection.

Of course, if you ask for support from comcast, and mention Linux, they
immediately do not support that, so they can't help. Can anyone help me
to figure this out?

Anyone on this list using IPCop? How about anyone connecting to comcast
via a cable modem with ethernet and a linux box. I am not at my friend's
house and I don't know the exact modem type at the moment. This was
originally installed by comcast with one windows computer, then they
bought a laptop and added the wireless access point, which was fairly
straight forward. All they know is that it works when they turn their
computer on.

Thanks for any tips.

Rita Gibson