[CLUE-Tech] comcast broadband cable modem

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 17:47:39 MDT 2004

--- Rita Gibson <rgibson57 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone:
>
> I just stumbled on this list. I have been subscribed
> to the Clue-talk
> list for some time.
>
> I recently switched out an old Redhat 7.3 box that
> someone else had set
> up for me with squidGuard installed to share my DSL
> connection with the
> network here at my house. I didn't have a clue how
> to keep it up to
> date, etc. So I read a recommendation to use a
> combination of IPCop and
> DansGuardian (internet content filter), found a good
> howto on the web.
> Also downloaded some add-on features, tested it and
> now have it up and
> running and have been switched over for about a
> month. I have Earthlink
> DSL and they use a PPPoE connection which I was
> familiar with and it was
> very easy to accomplish during the IPCop
> installation -- 30 minutes and
> the entire thing was up and running with all the
> updates downloaded and
> installed.
>
> A friend of mine has Comcast and a broadband modem
> with an ethernet
> connection. She is currently sharing this broadband
> connection via a
> wireless access point but would like a firewall and
> a content filter for
> her connection also. (When you have teenagers you do
> what you can.) I
> thought it would be simple, but discovered that I am
> clueless as to how
> the connection works with the cable modem. I know
> how to configure a
> "dialup" modem with IPCop, and the PPPoE, but just
> can't see what to do
> to configure this cable modem connection.
>
> Of course, if you ask for support from comcast, and
> mention Linux, they
> immediately do not support that, so they can't help.
> Can anyone help me
> to figure this out?
>
> Anyone on this list using IPCop? How about anyone
> connecting to comcast
> via a cable modem with ethernet and a linux box. I
> am not at my friend's
> house and I don't know the exact modem type at the
> moment. This was
> originally installed by comcast with one windows
> computer, then they
> bought a laptop and added the wireless access point,
> which was fairly
> straight forward. All they know is that it works
> when they turn their
> computer on.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

I have the same sort of connection; more computers but
the same idea. I'm currently rebuilding one of the
boxes to replace the linux gateway so I'm in the
middle of configuration.

Basically the box has a dhcp client running to
retrieve the IP address provided by comcast. The
second network card is on its own network to the
netgear wireless box (WGR614v1). The WAN port on the
netgear is 192.168.2.2 and the inside interface on the
linux box is 192.168.2.1. The netgear takes care of
DNS and has a dhcp server to provide addresses.

Setting up the linux box was pretty simple. Configure
ipv4 routing and set up iptables with shorewall via
webmin and it's passing traffic.

> Rita Gibson

Carl