[CLUE-Tech] <OT> comcast again

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:35:31 MDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:11:58 -0600, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2004, at 7:18 PM, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > After our recent discussion, which varied in the "comcast is evil",
> > "comcast is ok" range, you might be interested in my service
> > experience today.
>
> Only one comment on this one...
>
> A password reset isn't exactly rocket science and their 1st tier
> probably does thousands of them a day.  Not a good measure of their
> ability to really respond to a real technical problem -- the root-cause
> here is faulty memory... the human kind.  ;-)

No doubt about the source of the problem - PLBKAC.

> If the entire conversation took more than 10 real minutes, the person
> was reading from a cue card, anyway.
>
> I'm glad you had a good customer experience, but I'm skeptical that
> Comcast's tech support front-line could traceroute their way out of a
> paper bag... let alone diagnose and actually fix their backbone without
> escalation of at least two "tiers" to the clueful people.

Can't comment on that; I've never had a technical problem with their
service. And I had the feeling that the first tier response person
knew what he was talking about. It was a great improvement over the
@home days when the corresponding people only knew enough to say
"reboot Windows."

Now that I remember, I did have a more technical problem a few months
ago, and that representative was also quite knowledgable. I have
either a modem or a router going flaky, probably the modem. The cure
turns out to be a power cycle. No one asked me to "reboot Windows,"
nor were they shocked or concerned when I mentioned that I was running
Linux.

I just like to give credit when I receive good service. They've made
improvements for the customer - more email space, a decent webmail
facility, and so forth. Pretty good work for an "evil" company.

--
Collins