[CLUE-Tech] reverse DNS

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Mon Sep 13 16:31:06 MDT 2004

At 04:02 PM 9/13/2004, Nate Duehr wrote:
>Charles Oriez wrote:
>

>>Spamhaus had a come to jesus meeting with Savvis that got them to clean
>>up their act.  EV1 seems to be terminating spammers finally. Ditto for
>>Cogentco.  Even China seems to be cracking down.  I'm definitely starting
>>to see a trend now where I am removing more ISPs from my local blocks
>>than I am adding.  When we get to the point where all the spammers have
>>to host on a small handful of ISPs, the rest of us can firewall that
>>small set, they can spam each other to perdition without bothering us,
>>and the problem goes away.
>
>Savvis *announced* that they would be cleaning up their act.  They have
>not done so, yet.  There is a difference.  (i.e. Free advertising.)
>
>There was an interesting discussion pointing out that it will probably
>take Savvis a year to actually execute on their press release information
>on the NANOG list.

seeing of course is believing.

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10801,95868,00.html

Computerworld notes that Savvis is commited to bouncing its 40 worst, but
that Spamhaus has 122 listed.  Part of that might be a case of the same
spammer owning multiple CIDR's in different parts of the Savvis assigned
blocks, but I don't think bouncing 40 will get their Spamhaus list to
zero.  Funny how they are blaming the problem on their acquisition of
Clueless and Witless^W^W^W Cable and Wireless, despite the internal memos
that leaked.

It seems that ARIN asked Savvis to release unused space.  According to some
reports, Savvis was moving its spammers around to actively evade blocks.
The ARIN requirement apparently put the crunch on Savvis and made that more
difficult to do.  They were starting to lose legitimate customers whose
checks were actually good from month to month.

If they really go ahead and drop Eddie Marin, Eric Reinertsen, Scot
Richter, Webfinity, Gaven Stubberfield, Ronnie Scelson , and World Reach,
this could get significant.  (Trivia question - how many in that list are
convicted felons?)  Those are the ones that have been thrown off so many
ISPs that they are starting to find it difficult to stay connected.  I
think once that bunch is gone, I'll remove Savvis from my local blocks even
if the Spamhaus database doesn't have them down to zero yet.

Now if only MCI would do the same.

--

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
"Drag God into politics, and you'll ruin his reputation in no time." --