[clue-tech] Dual-Layer DVD Burner for Linux

Kiawud kiawud at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:00:53 MST 2005

Again, thanks for all the responses.  To make sure I understand
things, let me try to summarize:

To burn a DVD, I will need either: A) cdrecord w/ DVD enhancements, or
b) dvd+rw tools

With option 'A', I should be able to just use mkisofs and cdrecord to
create my DVD.

With option 'B', I'll need to use mkisofs and growisofs.

>From a gui perspective, K3b should be able to use dvd+rw tools (not
sure if it'll pick up on the patched cdrecord).

I couldn't find anything specific to dual-layer burning, so I assume
that the DVD-burner itself will automatically determine the format of
the DVD disc inserted and allow for larger files.

Does this correct so far?

To add another layer of complexity, has anyone created an encrypted
CD/DVD?  I would assume that, worst case, I could create an encrypted
file (that would normally be mounted via the crypto-loop) and just
burn that file to the CD/DVD.  However, I was wondering if either
cdrecord or growisofs had any built-in encryption features.

Thanks again,

-Hani