[clue-tech] Granite Canyon DNS?

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 08:58:41 MST 2005

Does anyone on this list use Granite Canyon -- http://www.granitecanyon.com/ for DNS?  I run my
own primary DNS (ns1.teamdelsol.com) and I use Granite Canyon for secondary DNS
(ns1.granitecanyon.com and ns2.granitecanyon.com).  For a few years, this has worked great for
several domains that I host.  However, over the last couple months, Granite Canyon seems to be
failing and "nobody's home" to fix it.  I cannot update zones, and I cannot add new zones.

The Problem:
dig the A record for teamdelsol.com from ns1.teamdelsol.com and you get the right answer.
dig the A record for teamdelsol.com from ns1.granitecanyon.com and you get 127.0.0.2

Consequence:
Many of my visitors are getting, "Connection Refused" or other similar connection errors when
attempting to use this website and related services.

Attempted:
I double checked my primary DNS for this zone and all seems fine.  It's been working for several
years, and the only change I made was to add a TXT record for SMTP identification.  I tried to
refresh the Granite Canyon zone via their website, but it seems unresponsive.  I tried to contact
Granite Canyon for support, but their news server (the only free support option) isn't accepting
messages.

This problem has plagued me for far too long now and my user complaint list has grown to the
critical point.  I need to know:

1.)  Is anyone else using Granite Canyon and have you found a way to reliably refresh your
secondary zones?
2.)  If not, are there other FREE secondary DNS providers that DO NOT LIMIT the number of zones
you can host?  I've looked at some other offers, but they all cap the number of zone transfers and
I have more than 5 domains:  teamdelsol.com, teamsolcal.com, teamsolco.com, teamsolfl.com,
4degreesgrafx.com, kimballstuff.com (and this list is likely to grow as more teamsolXX.com domains
switch to my service, or members buy personal domains like 4degreesgrafx.com).

Thanks!!

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)