[clue-tech] Granite Canyon DNS?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Jan 12 09:06:20 MST 2005

William:

> This problem has plagued me for far too long now and my user complaint list has grown to the
> critical point.  I need to know:
>
> 1.)  Is anyone else using Granite Canyon and have you found a way to reliably refresh your
> secondary zones?
> 2.)  If not, are there other FREE secondary DNS providers that DO NOT LIMIT the number of zones
> you can host?  I've looked at some other offers, but they all cap the number of zone transfers and
> I have more than 5 domains:  teamdelsol.com, teamsolcal.com, teamsolco.com, teamsolfl.com,
> 4degreesgrafx.com, kimballstuff.com (and this list is likely to grow as more teamsolXX.com domains
> switch to my service, or members buy personal domains like 4degreesgrafx.com).

If you register your domains through certain registrars they will
also provide DNS services for your domains at no extra charge, or
else a small extra charge.  Although I operate my own DNS servers
I use EasyDNS for domain registration and have found their customer
service to be very good, consistently.  www.easydns.com

As to the free secondary DNS provider question.  Why would I let you
host an unlimited amount of domains on my DNS server, for which I
had to pay, and which costs money to maintain and buy hard drives
for, and for which I have to pay for bandwidth, but you can use it
for free?

Why are you complaining about the customer service of a free DNS
provider anyway??  Maybe it's obvious to me and not to you, so I
guess I have to ask why you expect them to provide you with
timely customer service when you aren't paying them anything...

It is very likely that you WILL HAVE TO PAY something for the DNS
service you want, even if it just means re-registering your domains
through a different registrar that provides incidental DNS service.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/