[clue-tech] Granite Canyon DNS?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 12 18:04:35 MST 2005

Can't help you with GC.  I assume you know about Zoneedit and that
they're only free for fewer than 5 domains.  But beyond that they seem
pretty cheap at $11/year per domain.  And if you're buying in bulk it's
only $3.50/yr.  And there may well be places that charge by traffic
rather than by zone.

If you wind up paying by zone you can change your teamsolXX.com to
XX.teamdelsol.com and then it's only one zone in your case.

Huh, there I go again suggesting a hierarchical name space (the way DNS
was designed, not my idea).  More than one of my employers have managed
to pick a naming convention that's flat (and in a flat space the pieces
of the name should go left to right from general to specific, but some
manage to get that wrong, too).  I wonder why that is...

William wrote:
[...]
>>It is very likely that you WILL HAVE TO PAY something for the DNS
>>service you want, even if it just means re-registering your domains
>>through a different registrar that provides incidental DNS service.
>
> I acknowledge that it may come to this, but I will first chase the free option since I'm not
> making any money off my hosting service (which, in reality, I'm just doing for friends -- a LOT of
> friends).

Perhaps your friends can manage to pay $3.50/yr for the DNS hosting you
provide.  They probably pay more than that for their domain
registrations and even if this doubles their cost to $7/yr, that
shouldn't be impractical.  If they count on you shouldering the cost for
free they'll be posting here asking if anyone knows why William's DNS
hosting is giving out bad answers. ;-)

Or perhaps one of these friends has hardware/network/admin resources
similar to yours and can host a slave server for you.  If I were running
a master server I'd be happy to swap slave services with you.