[clue-tech] Granite Canyon DNS?

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 08:15:39 MST 2005

You wrote a very insightful and helpful reply.  I appreciate your attention to this matter, very
much.

--- David Anselmi wrote:
> Can't help you with GC.  I assume you know about Zoneedit and that
> they're only free for fewer than 5 domains.  But beyond that they seem
> pretty cheap at $11/year per domain.  And if you're buying in bulk it's
> only $3.50/yr.  And there may well be places that charge by traffic
> rather than by zone.

Yes, most people refer me to ZoneEdit.  As popular as it seems, this may be a good choice if I
have to choose a for-pay service.

> If you wind up paying by zone you can change your teamsolXX.com to
> XX.teamdelsol.com and then it's only one zone in your case.

Actually, I offer this service already in addition to domain-level hosting for those who choose
not to pay for a domain themselves.  However, several sites have already purchased their own
domain name before deciding to move their services to me and many people prefer the vanity route
to the longer URL choice (still others just don't understand URLs that don't start with www.).
Naturally, those with vanity domains expect a clean transfer of their identity, which leads me to
where I am today.

> Perhaps your friends can manage to pay $3.50/yr for the DNS hosting you
> provide.  They probably pay more than that for their domain
> registrations and even if this doubles their cost to $7/yr, that
> shouldn't be impractical.  If they count on you shouldering the cost for
> free they'll be posting here asking if anyone knows why William's DNS
> hosting is giving out bad answers. ;-)

This is an intriguing idea.  I hadn't considered offsetting the DNS service cost to the domain
holders.  It is easily justifiable and would sure save me a lot of work...

> Or perhaps one of these friends has hardware/network/admin resources
> similar to yours and can host a slave server for you.  If I were running
> a master server I'd be happy to swap slave services with you.

Heh... I keep trying that.  Team Sol is an international car club.  I'm surrounded by wrench
monkeys and turbo fanatics.  It is very rare to find someone who knows their own web browser well,
much less anyone with the experience and resources to run a dedicated server.  I keep posts up on
the club's major boards trying to recruit tech geeks (I'm also looking for secondary e-mail
servers), but they go unanswered.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind swapping zone-for-zone with someone if anyone else needs
secondary DNS support.

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)