[clue-tech] Granite Canyon DNS?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 13 16:59:14 MST 2005

William wrote:
[...]
> Yes, most people refer me to ZoneEdit.  As popular as it seems, this may be a good choice if I
> have to choose a for-pay service.

I forgot to mention that assuming ZoneEdit makes money off their DNS
hosting you can hope they'll be around longer than Granite Canyon.

[...]
> This is an intriguing idea.  I hadn't considered offsetting the DNS service cost to the domain
> holders.  It is easily justifiable and would sure save me a lot of work...

It's possible that you could direct them to set up the secondary DNS on
ZoneEdit.  You probably wouldn't be buying in bulk then, each would pay
his own way.  But if they have less than 6 domains they don't have to
pay, assuming they can handle setting up ZoneEdit.

>>Or perhaps one of these friends has hardware/network/admin resources
>>similar to yours and can host a slave server for you.  If I were running
>>a master server I'd be happy to swap slave services with you.
>
> Heh... I keep trying that.  Team Sol is an international car club.  I'm surrounded by wrench
> monkeys and turbo fanatics.  It is very rare to find someone who knows their own web browser well,
> much less anyone with the experience and resources to run a dedicated server.  I keep posts up on
> the club's major boards trying to recruit tech geeks (I'm also looking for secondary e-mail
> servers), but they go unanswered.

I hope you find someone on this list to pair up with.  But if not, all
your friends really need is a switch and an always on connection that
you can install a server on (well, a static IP, an AUP that allows a DNS
server, close enough for you to visit, and so on...)  So by the time
you've found all that maybe paying isn't such a bad deal.