[clue-tech] OT: Cisco PIX VPN quesion

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Jan 12 23:20:30 MST 2005

David - thanks for the input, I did successfully get the VPN going at
work using IPSEC with a PIX 515e. A lot of people weighed in and gave me
advice, and I read a lot of docs on it. I love it, I think it's very
fast and it met every expectation I had for a VPN.  It was a lot of work
to rearrange my poorly designed network, but now that I did, I'm glad I
did it.  This brings me to my next question... I got my hands a PIX 501
recently, so I'm trying to use it at home - eventually setting up a
direct tunnel to work.  I used to have my Cisco 678 DSL router nat'n
traffic and I did some port forwarding because I have a static IP with
Viawest.  Well, now I threw my PIX into the mix.... and what I would
like to do is have my static IP be completely forwarded through the 678
to the PIX, and I'll handle NAT, etc from there. Right now this is what
I have:

   Viawest

   Cisco 678
(external IP 216.150.207.X,
  internal IP 192.168.2.1)

   Cisco PIX 501
  {external IP 192.168.2.2,
   internal IP 192.168.1.1)

I then have my LAN setup behind the PIX with DHCP, etc.  What I want the
678 to be completely passive, forwarding all network traffic and routing
for 216.150.207.X to my PIX.  I see a setting on the 678 to turn off
NAT... which is what I want I think.  That brings me question though, on
the PIX what would my routes look like? Currently on the PIX:

ip address outside 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0
ip address inside 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0 0
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 1

So, I think I would change the address outside to 216.150.207.X - but
it's that route statement that's gonna get me... right now I route it to
the internal IP of the 678... but what is that internal IP going to
become if I turn off NAT?  And also, I'm not sure about the static
mappings through the PIX - I've never mapped a specific port using a PIX
like that, I just map the entire IP like so:

static (inside,outside) 192.168.2.10 192.168.1.10 netmask
255.255.255.255 0 0

I'm sure there is a way to forward just the ports, like I would on the
678...

Maybe I'm just overthinking this... has anybody done this with their DSL
lines and a router/firewall?