[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 22:59:38 MDT 2005

In follow-up to my post a few weeks ago about DSL.  The good news is that I'm
learning a lot more about networking...

I have the DSL installed and selected Qwest Choice Internet Basic as my ISP.
I purchased a static IP.  I tested in PPPoA for a week on a single laptop,
connected directly to the modem.  This weekend, I decided to plug the modem
into my LAN switch.  The LAN hosts all received a DHCP lease from the modem,
but none of them can connect to the WAN.  Doh!

After discussing with Qwest.net support, they told me that RFC 1483 'bridge
mode' is not supported for the Qwest Choice Internet Basic service plan.
This was a misunderstanding between the Qwest saleswoman and me.  In
retrospect I didn't explain my requirements clearly enough, mostly because I
made one big assumption (below).

This means I have a few options:

a) buy a block of 8 IPs (5 useable) from Qwest and assign an IP to each host
on my LAN.  This will cost me an additional $10 / month.  Not ideal.

b) find another ISP (or another ISP plan from Qwest) that allows the 'bridge'
mode - so I can share a single IP address.  The additional cost of this,
compared to the block of IPs is probably a wash.

c) find some other software (e.g., Linux) that allows me to share my single
static connection among my LAN.  I have no idea how to do this, but I'm sure
with a few suggestions, I can figure it out.

This bridge complexity escaped me previously.  I made an assumption that the
Qwest Choice Internet Basic service allows you to share a static IP [or
dynamic for that matter] in RFC 1483 configuration.  I also looked at the
specs of the Actiontec GT701 before I bought the DSL account and I saw good
stuff like NAT, DHCP, and firewall.

I assumed the bridge because this is how my comcast account works accept it's
assigned dynamic IP on the unit.  Since the comcast unit is a DHCP server and
is configured as a bridge, it's easy to set up a LAN - get a switch, plug
everything in, and set all LAN hosts as DHCP clients.  You're done in 30
minutes.

So, my question to everyone is : What are other people doing to share a WAN
connection via single static IP address?

For the folks who are using Qwest Choice Internet Basic, is it also your
understanding that 'bridge mode' (i.e., RFC 1483) is not supported?

Thanks!
Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein