[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Glen Newell gbear04 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 09:39:18 MDT 2005

First of all, for those who are wondering... Yes, its true, The
actiontecs are CRAP. They seem to require being reset from time to
time for no apparrant reason, and about 1 in 5 ( in my experience)
fail to operate as designed and Qwest will deny it all day long. FWIW
, it's worth the struggle to find someone who knows that the Ciscos
are still available (even refurbs) and can get you one, or get an isp
that has them or something similar.

On 7/17/05, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> In follow-up to my post a few weeks ago about DSL.  The good news is that I'm
> learning a lot more about networking...
>
> I have the DSL installed and selected Qwest Choice Internet Basic as my ISP.
> I purchased a static IP.  I tested in PPPoA for a week on a single laptop,
> connected directly to the modem.  This weekend, I decided to plug the modem
> into my LAN switch.  The LAN hosts all received a DHCP lease from the modem,
> but none of them can connect to the WAN.  Doh!

- echoing whats been said: check that the gateway and subnet addresses
are correct...also, check that the built-in filters are setup to allow
connections (the new standard is usually to not...)
-

> After discussing with Qwest.net support, they told me that RFC 1483 'bridge
> mode' is not supported for the Qwest Choice Internet Basic service plan.
> This was a misunderstanding between the Qwest saleswoman and me.  In
> retrospect I didn't explain my requirements clearly enough, mostly because I
> made one big assumption (below).
 This bridge complexity escaped me previously.  I made an assumption that the
> Qwest Choice Internet Basic service allows you to share a static IP [or
> dynamic for that matter] in RFC 1483 configuration.  I also looked at the
> specs of the Actiontec GT701 before I bought the DSL account and I saw good
> stuff like NAT, DHCP, and firewall.

- Bridging is not necessarily what you need, but regardless, these
modems will do ( are supposed to do)  what you describe, though not
very well. Your best bet is to get a small switch on the inside, or if
you can swing it, another router that can do dhcp and nat
independently ( especially if you want the machine in your lan to talk
to one another...). As an out-of- the box solution, the dlink routers
are pretty good, and easy to setup.

> This means I have a few options:
>
> a) buy a block of 8 IPs (5 useable) from Qwest and assign an IP to each host
> on my LAN.  This will cost me an additional $10 / month.  Not ideal.

Better to use static private IPs if it comes to that...static
world-accessible ips is unecessary unless you have internet-facing
services.