[clue-tech] Mandrake 10.1 DSL Access Problem

John Hamilton jham01 at sanoke.com
Thu Mar 3 10:52:34 MST 2005

What you've described is certainly an interesting problem. I have three
machines running Mandrake 10.1 Official (HP Desktop, Toshiba laptop, and
an AMD64 custom machine) all connecting to the internet through a Qwest
DSL Actiontec connection. I run my own firewall using an old PC with
iptables but other than that, my setup seems to be the same as yours.
I've not had any trouble with these three machines but I did have
trouble with another machine that I built. I used discounted motherboard
and processor (AMD something or other) that I picked up off of the
discount table at MicroCenter. The problem I ran into with that machine
was that when I installed Mandrake 10.1, it wouldn't recognize the
network card that was built into the motherboard. When I added a network
card that I had used on other 10.1 machines and disabled the internal
one, it still wouldn't recognize it. If I booted the machine with
Knoppix or SimplyMEPIS, it worked just fine. I finally just installed
MEPIS on the hard drive and gave the machine to my mother-in-law. She
hasn't had a bit of trouble with it so I really don't have a clue what
the problem was. Anyhow, I really like Mandrake 10.1 but my experience
is that it doesn't always work on some hardware configurations. I wish I
could offer a solution for you but that's all I have.

John Hamilton