[clue-tech] Mandrake 10.1 DSL Access Problem

Peter C. Hinkle drumvudu at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 3 14:21:12 MST 2005

After much thought, Vern B. Southern ingratiated us with:
> Thank you Todd for your reply.
>
> The DSL modem does work (Sometimes).
>
> I can access the Mandrake web site using the Konqueror web browser.  I have
> also accessed http://marc.theaimsgroup.com and read through the posts
> there. I cannot access sites like Google or Yahoo.  I can access private
> sites using Konqueror.  Mozilla will not work at all.  It is the weirdest
> thing I have seen in quite a while.  It's almost like a shareware
> limitation.
>
> I am wondering if the problem is being caused by my install procedure.
> When I install Mandrake-Linux Community Download, I am prompted for a
> Registration code even though the OS is clearly marked as FREE.  Todd, When
> you setup 10.1 for your client did you install Mandrake Official or
> Community?  Did you enter a registration code?  Does Mandrake Community
> require a Registration Code?
>
> On my Mandrake 9.1 partition the DSL works fine.  I looked through Webmin
> and copied all of the settings on paper, booted 10.1 and compared the
> settings.  Everything is the same.
>
> Additional Info:
> Actiontec DSL Modem GT701-WG (Purchased from Qwest)
> Netgear Ethernet 4 Port IOBase-T Hub Model EN104
> Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Vern
> vbsouthern at gch4usa.com

Vern, it almost sounds like a misconfigured proxy server. Does mandrake
install squid or comparable by default? When your DSL is up and appears to be
working properly,  what does resolv.conf say? Don't know what you have
already tried but if you can access some sites and not others, that would
sure seem to have something to do with either DNS or proxy access.../p

ASK ME FOR A FREE GMAIL ACCOUNT
Peter C Hinkle
drumvudu at mindspring.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~porsche914