[clue-tech] list netiquette

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Mar 10 19:32:42 MST 2005

Collins Richey wrote:

> 1. It would be a really good idea (tm) if folks would trim their posts
> when quoting to the minimum required to maintain context.

I hope noone needs an explanation of what Collins means about
maintaining context. Seems pretty clear. But I'd like to add a thought
about why it's particularly important to follow these rules on a list
like this one (as opposed to, say, corporate communications, where there
may even be valid reasons for top-posting).

Consider this: when you Google for info on a Linux problem, what do you
very often get at the top of the results? Old threads from the mailing
list archives of Linux users' groups much like ours, right? Well, I've
always found--and I'm sure I'm not alone--that those threads are most
helpful when they read like a conversation: that is, quotes and
snipped out.

So the point is, even if you and the person you're responding to know
exactly what your response is referring to ... it's not a private
conversation. Your questions and answers on this list are part of the
knowledge base for the whole Linux community. Ideally, someone who has
never met you should be able to Google up your thread several years
later and find a clear description of the problem, one or more proposed
solutions, and how the problem was eventually solved.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA