[clue-tech] Great New Adobe Acrobat Version

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Fri Mar 25 09:55:35 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:08:05AM -0700, Matt Thompson wrote:
> How does it compare to xpdf?  I'm sure it supports more of those
> Adobe-ish features of PDF, but I'm a fan of xpdf because of its speed
> and light weight.  How big is it memory-wise when you use it (compared
> to xpdf or, heaven forbid, gpdf)?
>
> I'm sure I'll try it out on my box when I have a chance, I'm just
> wondering if I'll change.

Defintely xpdf is lighter than either acroread5 or (by the looks of
it) 7.0.  I just loaded 7.0 on my notebook and it certainly takes longer
to startup. For now, my symlink still points to acroread5.

I mostly use PDFs for displaying presentations from beamer/latex.  The
7.0 version will allow you to *backup* one slide with the right mouse
button (woohoo!) -- but thats about it.

What *I* would really like acroread to do is:
- support b for 'blank' in fullscreen mode (defacto standard from ppt and
  impress)
- detect when a PDF has changed on disk and reload it (a critical
  feature when preparing presentations or papers using LaTeX/Tex).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any FOSS apps that do all of the above:
- fullscreen with Next, Prev, and 'b' for blank
- reread file when changed on disk
Instead it takes a hodgepodge of FOSS + acroread.  Oh well.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"cjOr proWe vbCould vbSettle prpFor noEnglish prpIn adjHungarian
noNotation :-)"

-- noPeter [Dr. Dobb's Python-URL, December 3, 2003]