[clue-tech] upgrading from sarge to etch

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Nov 16 19:13:58 MST 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Something David A. said recently made me go ahead and try upgrading from
> sarge to etch, and it went relatively smoothly.

Shoot, I'd have never suggested you do that ;-)  But I'm glad you got
through it.

> I had a little issue on my first computer because udev requires the
> new kernel, but on my second computer, I upgraded the kernel, then
> did apt-get upgrade, then apt-get dist-upgrade, and that was the
> correct order.

Kernel updates can be a little tricky, since the modules or mechanisms
(udev) they provide might change and that can catch you off guard.  The
current library changes can also cause aptitude to try to remove more
than it should.

I highly recommend aptitude over apt-get.  Much easier to notice that
what it's going to do is really what you want.

> So everything is great, except on my laptop with the USB mouse.  Right
> after I upgraded, the mouse "times out" when idle for a while, and I
> lose it.

You didn't say what kernel or what laptop (though Google cares more than
I do).  Apparently 2.6.8 and 2.6.11 had some problems, they seem to be
fixed.  You can check the Debian BTS to see if there's anything similar.