[clue-tech] IP routing problems

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Nov 19 22:09:13 MST 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Now if you were tracing to 69.140.216.27, and hop 13 is that actual
> address, why did the trace continue to hops beyond that?
> traceroute(8) has enough info to figure this out, though you might
> google up a more concise description.

Hey, you're right.  I totally missed the fact that the IP's are
different.  It must be a name resolution problem, because the IP had not
changed between the two trials.  I'll try putting something else in the
next time I get a chance to resolv.conf.  Maybe comcast name servers
have stopped honoring DNS updates for IP addresses that they know to be
within their home address blocks.

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Angelo