[clue-tech] More on WiFi cards (from InstallFest)

Jeffery Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:48:57 MST 2005

Today at the Install Fest, I was able to get my Linksys WPC54G
(version 2) wireless PCMCIA laptop card working.

Matt Gushee advised me that I needed ndiswrapper and the Windows
driver for my wireless card.  ndiswrapper is a handy utility that
allows certain Windows drivers to run unchanged on Linux:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

The ndiswrapper wiki has links to which Windows driver you can use and
the installation instructions show the commands to run to setup.

The one think I went looking for was a graphical representation of my
signal (which is handy).  On Windows, most wireless drivers have a
systray icon.

If you are running KDE, you can use KWiFiManager.  Not only does it
give you the signal strength systray, it also allows you to scan for
networks and setup configurations for various wireless networks.  Very
cool and highly recommended.

http://kwifimanager.sourceforge.net/

Jeff