[clue-tech] More on WiFi cards (from InstallFest)

Jeffery Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:10:24 MST 2005

On 11/20/05, Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:
> 3. Some problems *not* solved
>
> a. Matt - unable to get his Linksys WPC54GS wireless PCMCIA laptop card
>    (similar but not identical to Jeff's) working ... augh! Hardware
>    recognized, but no nodes found ... I noticed that iwconfig would show
>    the card's settings but I couldn't *set* anything. Though, looking at
>    the troubleshooting section of the ndiswrapper Wiki, it looks as
>    though you might need to find an access point before you can set
>    anything w/ iwconfig. At any rate, I've upgraded to the latest
>    ndiswrapper, and some day pretty soon I'll print out the docs and
>    take my laptop out to the coffee shop and see if I can get the *$!@&*
>    working. Meanwhile, I'd be grateful for any suggestions ...

Matt,  I did use the latest stable version of ndiswrapper 1.5.  Also,
make sure you have the right driver loaded.  I noticed with the 20 MB
package I downloaded from linksys, there were actually several drivers
- there were multiple .ini files.

Also, I don't think you can set any thing like ESSID with iwconfig if
your antennae cannot find any wireless networks.  Where's your
pringle's can?

Jeff