[clue-tech] CentOS -> Freedom

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 08:27:24 MDT 2005

--- Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 00:00 -0400, Angelo Bertolli
> wrote:
> > Collins Richey wrote:
> > >
> > >The point is moot.
> > >
> > Actually the point was that RH could make it more
> difficult, but they
> > don't.  I don't think it's moot, I think it's
> nice.
>
> Yes!
>
> Red Hat is not just following the "letter of the
> law" in regards to the
> GPL.  They are making, IMO, a good and conscious
> effort to keep with the
> spirit as well.  And the Fedora project (esp. Fedora
> Extras) shows that
> they are, slowly, getting better at opening up their
> package development
> and distribution process to outsiders as well.
>
> Ed
>
> --
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Rm 54-1424;  77
> Massachusetts Ave.
>              Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
> emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
> URLs:    http://web.mit.edu/eh3/    http://eh3.com/
> phone:   617-253-0098
> fax:     617-253-4464

To get the "real" spirit look at distros like Debian,
Gentoo, or the old standby ... Slackware. Or build it
yerself:) I admit I got tired of rebuilding it all
years ago. I think the last time I built close to
"everything" I used on my system was around 1995 when
the ELF binary format was taken as the Linux standard.
For those that might have forgotten, remember the task
of bootstrapping GCC to ELF? IE using the a.out based
compiler to build the ELF compiler and all the .so
libs...

Anywho ... Last year I saw an interesting
program/documentary on the Sundance Channel. It was
called "Revolution OS". This program included
speech/interviews  from Richard Stallman, Linus
Torvalds, and Eric Raymond to mention a few. I highly
recommend viewing it... Oh yeah and the fellow from
Stanford that created Cygwin put some time in as well.

As I recall it also covers the IPO of the earlier
mentioned (not for profit citizens for the cause of
freedom:) RedHat If you don't think they are making
money off "their" software ... then why does a single
year license for RHEL cost over $1000? Why did I find
over 600 kernel patches provided by RedHat for their
enterprise customers? It could be that they only make
money through support. Is the kernel srpm for RHEL
freely available?

Another good source other than the GPL itself is a
book written by Sam Williams "FREE AS IN FREEDOM
RICHARD STALLMAN'S CRUSADE FOR FREE SOFTWARE"

-Mike