[clue-tech] Re: CentOS -> Freedom

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:49:10 MDT 2005

On 10/28/05, mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To get the "real" spirit look at distros like Debian,
> Gentoo, or the old standby ... Slackware. Or build it
> yerself:) I admit I got tired of rebuilding it all
> years ago. I think the last time I built close to
> "everything" I used on my system was around 1995 when
> the ELF binary format was taken as the Linux standard.
> For those that might have forgotten, remember the task
> of bootstrapping GCC to ELF? IE using the a.out based
> compiler to build the ELF compiler and all the .so
> libs...

Mike, I don't doubt your years of Linux experience or your knowledge
at building packages.

> Anywho ... Last year I saw an interesting
> program/documentary on the Sundance Channel. It was
> called "Revolution OS". This program included
> speech/interviews  from Richard Stallman, Linus
> Torvalds, and Eric Raymond to mention a few. I highly
> recommend viewing it... Oh yeah and the fellow from
> Stanford that created Cygwin put some time in as well.

Yes.  This movie was also played at a CLUE meeting a few months ago.

> As I recall it also covers the IPO of the earlier
> mentioned (not for profit citizens for the cause of
> freedom:) RedHat If you don't think they are making
> money off "their" software ... then why does a single
> year license for RHEL cost over $1000? Why did I find
> over 600 kernel patches provided by RedHat for their
> enterprise customers? It could be that they only make
> money through support. Is the kernel srpm for RHEL
> freely available?

Exactly whom are you debating these points with?  Everyone concedes
that RH makes money - they have to disclose just how much they make
every quarter.  And everyone concedes that 1) RH provides a lot of
Kernel pathes (for crying out loud, Alan Cox, for one, works there)
and they aren't provided for "their enterprise customers" they are
provided for "the whole freaking world".  That's how GPL works...

And here is where I do doubt you - your reading of emails and
deductive powers: in addition to people explaining it conceptually,
twice now people have sent you links to the entire grouping of RH
SRPMS that include their kernel.  You can be Inspector Clueso and
still figure that one out.

Speaking of, if CLUE needed a mascot I think Clueso would be a perfect one, eh?

~Greg