Doing It Yourself was Re: "safety" of gmail (was: Re: [clue-tech] Archives)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Fri Apr 28 11:25:13 MDT 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 01:48 am, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > Actually, as it turns out, I have a fair number of the mails going
> > back to 09/05/04. All of these are in my gmail account, so I would
> > need to figure out how to get them into an mbox file. I know that
> > gmail has a pop3 retrieval function, but the only active mail account
> > that I have is my wife's account on comcast. There's no hurry with my
> > contribution, since the mails are safe on gmail.
>
> This will probably start a side-thread, so I'll change the topic but
> reply to the thread...

As will I...

> What makes you think gmail is "safe"?
>
> There was some interesting publicity recently about some poor guy that
> had his account accidentally deleted.  Google's official reply was,
> "Sorry, gmail is still in Beta!  See ya!"  He had what he described as
> "very important" e-mails in his gmail account.
>
> Many of us do, I'm sure.
>
> Seriously -- gmail's a nifty tool, but saying that your important mail
> or data in someone else's hands is "safe" without a contract stating how
> they're going to back it up and how fast they will recover it... isn't a
> good habit to get into.
>
> I keep toying with the idea of dropping running my own servers -- and
> just using my ISP or public resources like Google's.  My servers are a
> bit of a pain most days... (read: spam filters) but... they're mine.
>
> And I know what the backup schedule is... and I know where the backups
> are... and my ISP doesn't have any legal requirements to keep all my
> e-mail for a set period of time after I delete it (that's coming...)...
> and... I dunno.  I guess I like that, for the time being.
>
> Plus nowadays it feels so "old-school" to run your own stuff, but I'd
> also miss my customized IMAP server that I've had set up for years,
> which most ISP's still don't really do... being able to fire up a copy
> of Thunderbird or mutt on ANY machine and have all my mail for the last
> X number of years available to me is... nice.

Must be nice...    :-)

I got going with linux here a while back (1999),  and at that time didn't have
any 'net access,  but was still pretty active in fidonet,  and still had that
going up until last October or thereabouts when things just stopped working
and I lost my feed,  etc.  Plust the BBS was getting single-digit number of
callers per week,  so it hardly seemed worth the effort to get it going
again.

Got X working after some effort,  and that was nifty.  (No,  I didn't happen
to install one of those distros that comes up in a GUI install,  etc. -- I
run a lot of older hardware here and that stuff doesn't do too well in that
situation.  :-)  So a while after that,  I finally decide that 'net access is
worth the $14.95 a month even though I was unemployed (and still am),  and
here I've been ever since.

The first and easiest thing after getting ppp going (again the hard way) was a
browser,  that worked right off once I was connected.  Email was another
story.  I looked at the idea of having to mess with a whole mess of different
programs,  sendmail, fetchmail, procmail,  and so forth.  I *still* don't
have a clear picture of how all of that stuff should hang together in my
mind,  and now it's a couple of years later.  The whole process of mail was
looking to be a much bigger hassle than I'd thought it was going to be in my
studying of it in books,  etc.,  and then I short-circuited all of that
really quickly,  when I started using kmail.

The one thing that I'm doing differently than I was doing before is leaving
all of the files on my "server" (I put it in quotes because it's only a
K6-200 for now :-).  These are getting exported by way of nfs.  Which is a
part of the problem,  because there are many times when things just bog down,
I see both the HD light on that box and the light on my hub staying on pretty
solid...   If there's a better way to do that part,  I'd like to hear about
it.  Yeah,  I could leave it on the same box as I'm working from (the
"workstation") but did it that way so that I could log on to any machine on
the LAN and do mail.

It's been suggested to me in other contexts that perhaps I might want to run
an IMAP server here?  I'm not sure if that would be the case,  why I'd want
to,  and what exactly I'd have to do to get that (or any of the rest of that
mail stuff going here).

The setup here right now is one firewall/router box,  one server,  and one
workstation,  with one w98 box that uses the LAN to get to the 'net,  which
is nice because I don't have to worry about most of the crap that would hit
that one.  That last box is due to be upgraded to a dual-boot system which
will also be a workstation when it's done,  and I may add some others before
all is said and done.  And perhaps another server box or two,  I have one in
process that's going to have some RAID 5 arrays in it...

So if you guys have any suggestions as to how I might better this setup with
regards to mail,  I'd sure be interested in hearing about it.

-
M Dakin