[clue-tech] Automatically starting subversion on startup?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Aug 29 19:48:16 MDT 2006

John Fiala wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got subversion set up on my 'linux box'.  It's an older computer
> running Xandros, which is I believe a flavor of Debian linux.  I start
> up subversion by running 'svnserve --daemon --root /directory'
> currently at a prompt, but would like it to start up when I log in.

Ususally services are started by init scripts.  Do you have anything svn
related under /etc/init.d or /etc/rc* ?  If so we can troubleshoot
getting those to work.  If not you can find one in whatever distro is
closest to Xandros (based on Corel, not sure if that is Debian or not).

> Is this something I can safely add to the .bashrc file in my home
> directory?  I'm the only person using this computer, so I don't need
> to worry about other users.

Yes, you can add it to your .bashrc.  If it doesn't work you can always
take it out.  You might want to make sure it only runs once, or only if
it isn't already, so .bash_profile might be a better choice.