[clue-tech] VMServer 1.0 Host/Guest Internet problems

Russell Glissmann rglissma at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:20:42 MST 2006

As someone else said, have you loaded VMTools?  Without loading the tools XP
will have no clue as to what the Ethernet adapter is.  Also on your host
network, how are you getting an IP address?  Are you behind some sort of a
firewall that has a DHCP server, or are you directly connected to the
DSL/Cable modem and receiving an address from the ISP?  If the latter, you
may not be able to get more than one address (I know Comcast only allows one
address per modem).  If so, then having VMWare perform NAT would be a better
choice, and a simple one at that.  Just make sure you have already set that
up in VMWare itself.  Easy to find out, just shut down XP, configure the
virtual machine, and add the necessary network adapter with NAT, instead of
Bridging.