[clue-tech] Nice painless wireless solution (maybe)

Peter Kuykendall PeterKuykendall at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:24:20 MST 2006

For about a year now I've been using paired Belkin 802.11 routers in
order to avoid Linux wireless NIC driver hassles.  They run about $40
each at Wal Mart and Micro Center.  The key is that they can be
configured in bridging mode, thus my Linux machines can plug into them
via Ethernet and never know about the wireless link.

Now I just got an advertisement from a retailer that I've used
successfully before.  They are selling a similar gadget for only $23 per
pair versus $80 per pair for the Belkins.  Data rate is only 1.5 Mbps,
which may or may not be a problem, depending on your circumstance.

Like the Belkin solution, this is nice because of the Ethernet
connectivity at both ends of the wireless link.

Unlike the Belkin solution, it appears that the encryption parameters
are fixed, not user configurable.  It's also not clear just what the RF
link frequency and data protocols are.  I therefore assume that it's
completely insecure.  But then, I also assume that about my 802.11 link,
and my cable modem link as well, so for me personally that's not a problem.

I'm interested in anybody's real-world experience with these.  My
real-world experience with the Belkins is mostly good, with a couple of
exceptions:

 - Undocumented configuration restrictions

 - Some internal instability requires an AC power reset every 1-2 weeks.

Info on the Logitech stuff:

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES11169

CES11169  - Logitech Play Link Wireless Network Bridge Xbox PS2 PC & MAC

*Condition:* New

*Warranty:* 90 Days

gaming console to broadband Internet without the hassle of running
cables or the complexity of home networking. Play Link is designed to
work with nearly any Ethernet-enabled device.It's as simple as plug and
play; there are no drivers to install, no software to configure and no
complicated WiFi/802.11 networking to worry about. Just connect one of
the wireless transceivers to your Internet capable device, the other to
your broadband Internet access point, and you're ready to go online for
multiplayer gaming or just surfing the Web. Play Link uses matched and
coded pairs to ensure data security and interference free communication.
Logitech's new RF technology connects automatically and stays connected
with up to 100 feet range through all sorts of obstacles like walls,
ceilings and floors. Logitech Play Link helps you get your gaming
console, laptop or set-top box online with no wires, no mess, no sweat.

Play Link is designed to work with nearly any Ethernet-enabled device,
including:

- XBOX
- PlayStation 2
- Nintendo Gamecube
- Macs and PCs
- networked printers
- networked scanners
- networked set-top boxes
- media centers and PVRs

*Features:*

- Plug and Play connection - for easy, non technical networking set-up
- Up to 1.5 Mbps data rate - no lag on fast Internet connections
- Pre-paired and encrypted - to ensure interference-free, secure
communications
- New RF technology - connects automatically with up to 100-foot range
- Standard Ethernet connection - simple connection to your gaming
console, laptop or set-top box
- No Wifi/802.11 network necessary - wireless networking without the hassle
- No software to install - no drivers, configuration or technical skill
required

$99.99   $22.99 On Sale!  Free Ground Shipping!

--

Peter Kuykendall
7659 S. Rosemary Circle

Instant Messaging: