[clue-tech] USB device trouble

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Feb 8 20:23:22 MST 2006

Hi everyone,

So I'm a USB n00b and can't get this device to work under either
Windows XP or Linux.  For what it's worth it used to work until
a couple of days ago under Windows XP, but now Windows refuses to
talk to it until I load some driver which it can't find anywhere
including Windows Update.

It says it's looking for a driver for "IDE-USB2.0 Bridge" .

If anyone is a USB wizard out there I'd love to hear any advice
or suggestions.

Here's what Linux (2.4.21) /proc/bus/usb/devices says about it:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0409 ProdID=0056 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=GENERIC
S:  Product=IDE-USB2.0 Bridge
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=50 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

And of course the kernel messages say no drivers like it:

hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x409/0x56) is not claimed by any active driver.

What do I do to get this to work?  Inside the USB enclosure is a DVD
burner, Samsung.  I trolled the 2.4.21 kernel source looking for those
hex strings 0x0409 and 0x0056 and didn't find much.  I'm not even sure
what device driver to put those device IDs in to get it to recognize
the device (if I felt like hacking the code).

./drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.h:
#define NEC_VENDOR_ID           0x0409

I found a USB device listing in numerical order but it wasn't particularly
helpful, in fact none of the google results were particularly helpful:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:_Xig91QO2wQJ:members.net-tech.com.au/dft0802/downloads/usbdevs.txt+USB+device+0409+0056&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5

0409:0040=NEC USB Floppy
0409:004F=NEC Wireless USB Keyboard with One-touch start buttons
0409:0058=Belkin USB V2.0 4-Port Hub
0409:0059=Belkin USB V2.0 4-Port Hub

So 0409:0056 is not in that list, but it makes me think that
the USB-IDE chip might be made either by NEC or Belkin...

Is it possible that the enclosure got fried somehow and now it
thinks it's a different USB ID than it used to be, which is why
my OSes won't talk to it anymore?  Does this happen?  If so does
anyone know how I can reprogram it to the right USB ID?

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)