[clue-tech] New territory

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 06:43:44 MST 2006

On 2/9/06, William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:
> Match Grun wrote:
> > I have previously used a Linksys firewall. However, it suffered a
> > problem in that you could not see a log of packets from people trying to
> > hack into your network. Since these devices have no hard-drives
> > where do you store these? A log server behind the firewall. Another box
> > that needs to be maintained. Also, these devices have embedded OS'es,
> > that are difficult or impossible to upgrade.
>
> Well, just to be sure that both sides are fully and fairly represented,
> I'll answer to this.  Many Linksys devices can store their log to RAM,
> from which you can indeed see your logs.  This negates the need to
> maintain another box.  To the last comment, I find that Cisco devices
> are particularly easy to apply firmware updates.  I have never attempted
> to update Linksys devices.

I have updated several (4) wrt54G boxes.  Worked fine.  I used IE on
WindowsXP, Firefox on WindowsXP and Firefox on Linux and the firmware
upgrade worked fine on all of them.

I am not a firewall/network admin.  I found http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/
to be pretty well configurable, it runs from CD with configuration
stored on floppy and can be run on any old piece of junk hardware that
you have.

If you are worried about hardware failure, and have consistent access
to the box, just get a second old piece of junk that you place right
next to your main one.  Then if the main one fails, you switch the
network cables, move the floppy, and boot from CD.  That same
philosophy would probably work for most of these "bare bones
CD+config" solutions that people have pointed out.

It was able to do at least some logging, but I'm not sure if it's
enough for your needs.

Greg