[clue-tech] New territory

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Feb 9 21:58:10 MST 2006

Match Grun wrote:
> I have previously used a Linksys firewall. However, it suffered a
> problem in that you could not see a log of packets from people trying to
> hack into your network. Since these devices have no hard-drives
> where do you store these? A log server behind the firewall. Another box
> that needs to be maintained. Also, these devices have embedded OS'es,
> that are difficult or impossible to upgrade.

Well, just to be sure that both sides are fully and fairly represented,
I'll answer to this.  Many Linksys devices can store their log to RAM,
from which you can indeed see your logs.  This negates the need to
maintain another box.  To the last comment, I find that Cisco devices
are particularly easy to apply firmware updates.  I have never attempted
to update Linksys devices.

To share my experience, I use Cisco routing+firewall equipment -- at
home (8xx-series, IOS 12+).  The built-in logging facilities are robust
enough to negate having an additional logging server, but I also utilize
such a logging server anyway for my own purposes.

Every network and administrator has unique needs.  Because I write and
maintain my own "real-time auto-sensing" log watching scripts (rather
than use tools like IPCop or PortSentry) over and above packet-level
firewalling, I choose to use additional hardware.  Most other people,
especially home users, don't.  What's more, even though I have an
efficient perimeter firewall appliance, I also deploy dynamic software
firewalls (IPTables) on the machines behind the device.  These software
firewalls are updated dynamically by my log-watching scripts to fend off
some on-going attacks the instant they are detected.

Everyone has their own idea of what "secure enough" means and I'm always
learning new ways to tighten my network down despite providing my own
robust hosting services (web, ftp, vpn, ssh, rdp, dns, chat, database,
and a comprehensive mail suite) on a static subnet.  In my case, I'll
probably never be satisfied, but I rest knowing this:  nobody sees
anything on my network that I don't expressly and knowingly put before
them.  At least, as best I can.

--
William Kimball, Jr.
http://www.kimballstuff.com/