[clue-tech] New territory

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Thu Feb 9 19:50:41 MST 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:06:51 -0700
Chris Hirsch <chris at base2technology.com> wrote:

> > I use IP-cop. It just works, does not crash and has minimal
> > maintenance. Runs on an old 233-Mhz PII with 2 network cards. Like
> > smoothwall, and Linux appliance firewalls, IP-cop uses a web
> > interface. All firewall rules are built for you. Installation takes
> > about 10 minutes.
> >

> I'll second the IPCop...I've used it for several years on both home
> and production environments of up to about 150 people with zero
> problems. I've even had a disk fail out from underneath it and it ran
> fine for a month until I had time to take the machine down and replace
> the disk :-)
>
> It also makes setting up a VPN via IPSec easy (or as easy as IPSec
> gets).

I have previously used a Linksys firewall. However, it suffered a
problem in that you could not see a log of packets from people trying to
hack into your network. Since these devices have no hard-drives
where do you store these? A log server behind the firewall. Another box
that needs to be maintained. Also, these devices have embedded OS'es,
that are difficult or impossible to upgrade.

Match