[clue-tech] secure mail

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Wed Jan 11 13:45:09 MST 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:

>On Tuesday 10 January 2006 1:56 pm, William wrote:
>

>>You can use TLS and SMTP-AUTH over SSL with Postfix and Courier for
>>POP3, IMAP, and SMTP -- I do and it works beautifully (in my case, with
>>many virtual domains).
>>

>I have postfix and dovecot for the same reason which was (for me) easier to
>deal with than courier.  Dovecot is billed as a Secure IMAP and POP3 server.
>I'm not sure on virtual domains, but probably it supports them.
>
>Plus, if you are on Fedora, it's the default IMAP / POP service.
>
>http://www.dovecot.org/
>
>Jeff

Dovecot supports virtual users (and by relation, should support virtual
domains as well).  I looked at Dovecot as an alternative to Courier a
while back (due to Courier's complexity and Dovecot's relatively warm
referrals) and today I cannot remember why I selected Courier other than
a feeling that there were things Courier did that Dovecot didn't, which
I needed (like quotas and proxied access to MySQL).

Dovecot isn't a bad choice, except that it doesn't support the full set
of features present in Courier.  Arguably, not everyone needs the
features I use, so Dovecot may be a better choice for the right people
(generally, those not running a fully featured -- amateur -- hosting
service for many domains and users).  ;)

Between Courier and Dovecot, I chose Courier.  It was a marked challenge
installing and configuring Courier the first time; don't get me wrong --
it's a bear.  However, I documented the entire experience and I'm
presently reformatting that documentation into a detailed How-To that
may help people who consider Courier the right choice for themselves.  :)

Either way you go, TLS is the right path if you want to secure your
e-mail in-transit -- even server-to-server, where supported.