[clue-tech] More Debian vs. Ubuntu musings

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 10:11:48 MDT 2006

Collins,

Thanks for the input.

I am getting ready to build a new micro ATX box myself w/ AMD.

I am lookin at BioStar NVidia motherboards - looks like the socket 939
boards may be a bit more versatile upgrade-wise than the (older?) 754 boards
- am I wrong?

What specific AMD CPU did you install? I am leaning towards an Athlon 64
3200+...

I will probably go with CentOS 4.3 - I am running it on a Dell Latitude with
good results, and is is the standard platform at work.  With a few extra
repositories it seems to make an excellent desktop.

My only complaint is that a recent yum upgrade replaced my kernel - I am
still running a 'stock' 2.6.9-34.EL kernel.  With the latest kernel
ndis-wrappers does not appear to work.  Fortunately, the original is still
in GRUB so that I can select it when I need WIFI.

# 4 Discovered that the version of vi (vim?) presented by Etch has
> ancient syntax and behavior - can't do 999d if fewer than 999 lines of
> text, major blip everytime you press EXC or scroll to the top or
> bottom. I was not impressed.

Any reason you don't use dG to delete to the end-of-file instead of  999d?

Thanks again for the info, and happy 4th!!!

--
aloha,
dave