[clue-tech] More Debian vs. Ubuntu musings

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 11:51:25 MDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Dave Price <kinaole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Collins,
>
>  Thanks for the input.
>
>  I am getting ready to build a new micro ATX box myself w/ AMD.
>
>  I am lookin at BioStar NVidia motherboards - looks like the socket 939
> boards may be a bit more versatile upgrade-wise than the (older?) 754 boards
> - am I wrong?
>
>  What specific AMD CPU did you install? I am leaning towards an Athlon 64
> 3200+...

I have a 3700+. This is a Gateway box, and the motherboard type is ???
- all nVidia based components. According to my readings on Google the
BioStar has similar components including the problematic MCP51 sound
card that isn't yet supported by most kernels.

> I will probably go with CentOS 4.3 - I am running it on a Dell Latitude with
> good results, and is is the standard platform at work.  With a few extra
> repositories it seems to make an excellent desktop.

I still have a CentOS 4.3 system, and we are moving to all RHEL4
systems (servers and desktops) at work. I have had few problems with
CentOS/RHEL4. That being said, it's just ancient. I got spoiled too
many years with Gentoo and up to date software. I just can't hack the
older versions of Gnome/KDE, and I haven't the time to bastardize a
CentOS setup with 21st centruy versions from oddball repos.
Ubuntu/Debian testing is where it's at for me at present.

If you are going to tryLinuxe 64-bit mode, CentOS does have an
advantage - RH employs a melded 64/32 bit approach that is easier to
use with legacy 32-bit stuff. Debian/Ubuntu uses the purist 64-bit
approach, and according to what I've read you need to pull a few hat
tricks to get some of the legacy stuff to work.

> My only complaint is that a recent yum upgrade replaced my kernel - I am
> still running a 'stock' 2.6.9-34.EL kernel.  With the latest kernel
> ndis-wrappers does not appear to work.  Fortunately, the original is still
> in GRUB so that I can select it when I need WIFI.

Ubuntu is putting a lof of effort into wireless these days, but I was
never able to get wireless working on my HP laptop.

> > # 4 Discovered that the version of vi (vim?) presented by Etch has
> > ancient syntax and behavior - can't do 999d if fewer than 999 lines of
> > text, major blip everytime you press EXC or scroll to the top or
> > bottom. I was not impressed.
>

> Any reason you don't use dG to delete to the end-of-file instead of  999d?

Lack of knowledge. I've used vi since the dawn of time, but I've
resisted the urge to learn more than 15-20 basic commands! I'll file
this command away and use it.

> Thanks again for the info, and happy 4th!!!

Mahalo,

--
Collins Richey