[clue-tech] help with udev on Debian

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jul 21 21:43:58 MDT 2006

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I tried to reinstall udev on one of my machines.  Good thing is, I moved
> the config files instead of deleting them, but I wanted to know if
> anyone here could tell me how to recreate appropriate stuff for
> /etc/udev based on my current machine rather than my old config files.
> By the way, I seem to also be missing the init.d udev script (is it needed)

I didn't configure udev, it just works.  What makes you think yours
needs configuring (be specific)?

Actually, I did make a local.rules file so that my two USB drives would
get specific devices that I could use in fstab.  But they worked fine
without that if I used the generic names (e.g. /dev/sda1).

init.d/udev is in the udev package so if you installed the package and
didn't get the script maybe you should investigate the package's state
and what happened to the install.