OT: [clue-tech] Shame shame

Mon Jun 19 17:06:35 MDT 2006

Now, that's not fair.  Just because Vmware doesn't GPL everything they make doesn't mean
that pimping their stuph violates the CLUE spirit.   Here's how I see it:

... we advocate the GNU/Linux operating system...  What are the greatest barriers to
entry for potential Linux users today?  Hardware support, application replacement, and
lack of knowledge.  Vmware offers them a way to run Linux on Windows, or Windows on
Linux, so they can transition gradually.  Vmware offers ~us~ a way to make movies of
complex processes for their consumption.  It offers us a ~free~ way to build and ship
custom-built Linux systems to our friends and relatives for consumption at-their-ease,
on the Vmware Player.  Like Cygwin, it's a 'bridge' technology.

... (FOSS) ...  There are free (as in beer) Vmware products, enough to do almost any
job, at http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html.  There are Vmware
sources at http://www.vmware.com/download/esx/open_source.html,
http://www.vmware.com/download/gsx/open_source.html, and
http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/open_source.html.  Maybe other places, too.  A product
that runs on a GPL'd product, like their vmmon module, doesn't necessarily have to be
GPL'd, as I understand it, or every runs-only-on-Linux app would have to be GPL'd.
Again, as I understand it, only a 'derivative work', as X.org is to Xfree86, must be
GPL'd, if the original work is GPL'd.

Let's not get so (darned) religious about this that we exclude our best friends as
"sorry, not holy enough".

Let's ~build~ bridges into Linux, not burn them.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:04:49 -0600, Collins Richey wrote