[clue-tech] gmail question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 8 20:11:43 MDT 2006

On 5/8/06, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
> > Jeff Cann wrote:
> >> When I post to this list, sending from my gmail account, I never seem
> >> to get the list email.
> >
> > Looks like a feature:
> >
> > http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10314
> P.S.  After reading this 'answer' I think that google is getting [more?]
> arrogant.  Deciding what constitutes 'cluttering my INBOX' is a user
> decision, IMHO.
>
> The stupid part is that any message I send is not included in my
> thunderbird threads for the given list.  The even stupider part is that
> when I drag the message from my 'sent' folder, it doesn't contain the
> '[clue-tech]' prefix and therefore is not threaded correctly.

And here's my $.02
1. What do you expect from a free service? I expect my mails to be
retained (no problem yet), my spam to be identified (Google does a
marvelous job), and some sort of ability to filter mails into "folders
by topic (Google's labeling facility works ok for that). The behavior
detailed in the reference url just confirms what I have observed, and
it's not a problem when using standard gmail facilities to handle the
mail, since the original item in the thread shows in the inbox or
label as soon as anyone replies to the thread..
2. Since I don't use the pop3 feature to retrieve mail for an external
handler, I can't comment on that behavior. You might try sending a
suggestion to Google. If they get enough responses, they might fix the
behavior, I know I requested a "delete" button a long time ago, and
they finally got around to adding that. They've also added some sort
of an IM facility recently.
3. If you or I were to design a mail facility, we might do it
differently, but free as in beer is not a bad deal IMO.
4. Another flaw.The method Gmail uses for Reply to List can easily be
confused. I find that on some lists, people have responded in a
fashion (I haven't checked the headers) that causes mail to be sent
specifically to the sender rather than the list when you hit the Reply
button. It doesn't happen often, so I've been too lazy to check it
out. I seem to remember a long thread about this on another list.
5. I'll leave the comments about whether Google is evil or not to
those who care. Even if Satan himself is running the show, I'm getting
a damn good deal.

--
Collins Richey