[clue-tech] Compiling PHP under FC5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 19 09:49:01 MDT 2006

>>>>> "erik" == erik  <erik at ezolan.com> writes:

erik> Hi all,

erik> Short version: What I'm trying to do is recompile PHP with the
erik> correct flags under FC5 so my PHP-based board can use the
erik> databases I have installed.

erik> Long version: I'm trying to test a piece of software (Phpbb 3)
erik> and I'm stuck on the installation. It can't see my sqlite or
erik> MySQL databases. It looks like PHP (5.1.2) was complied with
erik> '--without-sqlite' and '--without-mysql. So I need to re-compile
erik> it.

All those sub modules were split out into their own packages. This is
so you don't have to install postgres, mysql, etc if you install php
and don't need them...

do:

yum list 'php*' to see all of the php packages.

You probibly want:

yum install php-mysql

at least.

erik> I did a little searching on Google, and I get the impression
erik> that I'm supposed to download the latest package from php.net
erik> and install it
erik> (http://resellers.tucows.com/documentation/ccs/ccsinstallfedoracore5.pdf)

erik> I was hoping to use the framework built into FC5 though. I
erik> believe I've added the source repositories using "Yum Extender",
erik> but I can't seem to find the PHP development package.

yum install php-devel

erik> FYI, PHP used to bundle the client libraries for MySQL until
erik> they hit version 5.
erik> (http://us3.php.net/manual/en/faq.databases.php#faq.databases.mysql.php5)
erik> Thanks, Erik Z

kevin