[clue-tech] 64-bit software use

bof bof at pcisys.net
Thu May 25 17:47:41 MDT 2006

Hello,

Well, I finally broke down today and, after seven years, bought a new
laptop with a AMD Turion (64-bit) chip in it.

I have some questions on 64-bit software and its use.

Most of my computer use is for web-browsing, email, writing, and some
small programming and databasing. Would it benefit me to run a 64-bit OS
and software? I am currently using Fedora Core 5, and would continue to
do so in its 64-bit version.

What about running 32-bit programs under a 64-bit OS if I can't find a
64-bit version of the program. Would this create problems?

Any other advice on the pros and cons of using 64-bit software?

Thanx.

BOF