[clue-tech] X windows guru? (DeviceOff & DeviceOn)

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Apr 20 11:32:13 MDT 2007

Hi CLUEbies,

Thanks Michael for your response.

> I don't know how to do it myself, but if you're looking for how the
> Synaptics driver handles DeviceOn/DeviceOff as an example, try here:
>
> http://www.codase.com/search/display?file=L2dlbnRvbzIvdmFyL3RtcC9yZXBvcy9jb2Rhc2UuYy9zeW5hcHRpY3MtMC4xNC4yL3dvcmsvc3luYXB0aWNzLTAuMTQuMi9zeW5hcHRpY3MuYw==&lang=c
>
> That's the Synaptics.c driver source.  This looks like old code, though.
> The synclient.c (which is the Synaptics equivalent of the calibration
> program you mentioned) doesn't appear to support calling DeviceOn or
> DeviceOff.  I think the up to date examples must be in the latest xorg
> tree.  It's been awhile since I dug into that.
> --
> Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org

The synaptics driver doesn't do DeviceOn/DeviceOff but it does use a shared
memory area which could be used by the calibration program to communicate
with the driver, and the driver of course will communicate with the hardware.
In this way the driver would not need to be unloaded/disabled using DeviceOff -
the calibration program would just talk to the hardware through the driver.

Thanks for the idea!

Also does anyone on the list have the O'Reilly X Window programming reference
book "Volume 9: X Window Programming Extensions" (Adrian Nye, 1996)?  We kind
of need to buy it or borrow it but it seems to be out of print and unavailable
through the usual channels.  If so could you please contact me off-list?

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)