[clue-tech] CentOS 5 update problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 21 17:55:51 MDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
markgharvey at yahoo.com ("Mark G. Harvey") wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  My replies below.
>
> Mark

...snip...

> I'm not seeing anything wrong with the output, but then again, I'm no
> expert.

Yeah, odd. Those look ok.

> I remarked them out & added a second baseurl= ... tried both of these
> for the baseurl= ... neither worked ...
>   http://centos-distro.cavecreek.net/centos/5.0/updates/i386/RPMS/
>   http://centos-distro.cavecreek.net/centos/5.0/updates/i386/repodata/repomd.xml

Neither of those is correct. You want:
http://centos-distro.cavecreek.net/centos/5.0/updates/i386/
or you can put it in there as:
http://centos-distro.cavecreek.net/centos/$release/updates/$basearch/

Can you try those?

> > $releasever is filled in by your release... you are using centos5,
> > so it's a "5". $basearch is your machine arch, so i386 or x86_64 or
> > ppc or whatever type of machine you have.
>
> my release = 5
> my arch = i386

Right. It's just a simple substitution so that the same config file
will work on lots of different machines. :)

kevin